“…Short-range unguided rocket launcher. Rockets have a medium AOE (area of effect). Deal damage to a group of enemies as well as their physical shields or enemies taking cover. Automatic firing mode.…” – in-game description
The rockets explode upon impact causing splash damage. Splash damage allows missiles to damage nearby enemy robots, damage robots protected by an Écu shield and damage robots behind cover. However, while very similar to the Pinata, the Orkan does more damage per rocket.
Due to "Smart reload" mechanism, it is able to unleash single missile or an entire volley of missiles on a target, and also it can continue to be fired while it is reloading. The missiles need to make contact with the enemy robot, or else they will continue to fly to their maximum distance.
Firing single missile is good against a weak\wounded target - a pilot can fire only as many missiles as necessary to destroy it. This leaves the weapon ready for the next engagement with a shorter reload time to completely refill. This characteristic was added to Pinata, Tulumbas and Pins in update 2.9
The Orkan has one of the shortest effective ranges of any weapon and a lower damage per minute than its most common competitor, the Taran. Another consideration is that the rockets have a relatively slow speed and small splash radius, and faster bots can avoid taking damage entirely at longer ranges by outrunning its rockets. The weapon is best used at a very short range where the rockets are more likely to hit.
Because of its ability to deliver heavy damage in a very short amount of time, reload while firing, and ignore physical shields of the robots like the Rhino or the Lancelot, it is considered one of the best weapons in the game.
Latest update, 2.9, was made with a controversial rebalance to the Orkans, namely:
- Damage increased +15% at lvl12
- Firerate decreased -17% (from 10 rps to 8.3 rps)
- Burst DPS drops slightly, approximately -5% from 14,270 to 13,612 for lvl12
- Cycle DPS, however, increased +15% from 1,742 to 1,951 for lvl12
- After 2.9.2\2.9.3 update damage was increased even more
- Orkan translates to hurricane or storm in German, which describes this weapon’s nature well, as it can launch a “hurricane” of missiles.
- The name may be a reference to the M-87 Orkan, a Yugoslav multiple rocket launcher.
- Prior to 2.9 update Orkan was using same rockets as Pinata, only x2 capacity (Pinata was 16 missiles, and Orkan was 32)
Numbers are correct up to level 10 (inclusive)
|Level||Damage||Cost||Time||Burst DPS||Cycle Damage||Cycle DPS|
|6||1070 (+10%)||720,000||15 h||8779||34240||1273|
|7||1180 (+10%)||1,400,000||1d 6h||9682||37760||1404|
|8||1300 (+10%)||2,700,000||1 d 14 h||10667||41600||1546|
|9||1430 (+10%)||5,400,000||1 d 21 h||11733||45760||1701|
|10||1570 (+10%)||9,000,000||2 d 7 h||12882||50240||1868|
|11||1730 (+10%)||14,000,000||3 d 3 h||14195||55360||2058|
|12||1900 (+10%)||23,000,000||4 d 7 h||15590||60800||2260|